South Korean Flag!

South Korean Flag!

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Trekking Across Wyoming Cont.

(Read the above article first, if you want to make some sense of this! :D)
The next morning we packed up and headed out on the trail. We stopped for lunch to listen to some music and stories told by more missionary couples. I played my harmonica (I had gotten it on the bus, and it was my first time to try it) while everyone was eating, and when we started back on the trail again.
I met Jacob's (from EFY) mom while in line for the bathroom. I thought that was pretty cool, she seemed like a nice lady. : )
It was very hot by the time we got to the pony express trail. There they had us, in our families, read the issue for all the men to join the army to help fight the war for Texas. So off the men went. I knew this was coming, and I was ready for it. I wanted to push that handcart really bad.
But before we went, one of the bishops talked to us all about the power of the Priesthood, and what we can do, as young women, to be worthy of it, and to support those that held it.
When we first started up the hill, I was doing okay. Two of the girls were in the front, two in the back. I felt so bad for the girls with only two or three in there family, and the ma's weren't allowed to help us. I was one of the girls pulling from the front.
Then the dirt turned to sand, and the hill began to get steeper. I could feel my heart beating at least 100 times a minute, and I was sweating badly. My feet kept slipping out from underneath me, and it became harder to walk in a straight line uphill. I kept thinking, "Just a little further, and then I will rest. Just a little more, then I'll be there." I realized I wasn't as strong as I thought I was; the girls behind us were still pushing with all their might. They switched with us two in the front. It was a bit easier to push than to pull.
I glanced up, from staring at the moving ground, and saw the top of the hill. There, all of the boys were, clapping and cheering us all on. As I walked through the parted crowed of boys, I said winningly,
"I promise, I'll never take you guys for granted again!" That got a few laughs.
After that we got our boys back, but I still helped them push up the next hills to remind me how much I depended on them. At the top of the next rise, I noticed some people running downhill quickly, as if something had excited them. I wondered what. Then we came to a bathroom stop, and I smiled. But my joy for that break was short-lived...
They killed off me and another of my sisters, giving us white handkerchiefs to carry and sending us on a different path then the rest of them. Of course we assumed then, that dead people didn't have to go to the bathroom. :D We talked as we walked along the dusty trail, thinking about what heaven was like for the real pioneers that had died.
Soon after we were re-united with our families for the crossing of the river. Leisle and I got to ride in the wagon for the muddy part, but we had to walk through the actual river in our water shoes. Some of the boys went in all the way, and came out soaking from either going willingly, or being dunked. My brother was one of the dunked ones. =D
Near the end of the trail, we crosses another river, (I took the bridge that time.) I caught up with Conner (the guy from my ward who loved to sing) and feeling musically inclined, started playing "Kumbaya," on my harmonica. Then Conner started singing, "Come, Come Ye Saints," so I followed along. I joined in the singing after the first verse (cause lets just say I'm not the best harmonica player in the world. :D) Just as we were singing the end of the last verse, we saw our bright yellow buses waiting for us. I thought that was a perfect ending to a good trek.
The drive to our next campsite took an hour, but I was very glad to be sleeping in a tent again when they had gotten it all set up. We had Bishops Hour (my absolute favorite time, because I got to see all the people from my ward again,) after dinner. Then I ran back to get my sweatshirt, because it was getting cold.
A few of the people from my ward had wanted to do some games, so I gathered up more friends and went back to our campfire spot. There were some kids there trying to light a fire, then Trevor, from my ward, came and showed them how to really do it. He told us bug spray was highly flammable, so just to spray it on the kindling and step back quickly! I laughed at how entertained he was by the fire, (his dad used to be a fireman) and I found myself getting caught up in the excitement of it all as well.
People had just started to arrive when the Stake Trek Director found us, and told us to go back to our families and go to bed. I was sad to leave the people from my ward again. I love them all so much! They are like a big family to me. But I went and got into bed, as instructed... ;P
The next morning, (don't worry, you're almost to the end!) we all got up early for the final activity; testimony meeting. We were split up into our companies (Hobbs, Martian, and Willie) then given and hour to bear our testimonies.
There were quite a few awkward pauses, but the testimonies that were borne were very powerful. I was the second to stand up. Near the end my 'ma' even went, just when everyone thought they were done. And they gave us all extra time, because we didn't want to disturb those who were still going. So I went again, at the end as well, simply telling all of the youth how awesome they were for coming, and how much I enjoyed their testimonies. I apologized for going twice, but I felt I really needed to say that. Some of them had given such deep, insightful testimonies, that it made me think how much I take for granted all the many blessings in my life, like being able to pray and know I will receive an answer.
Anyhow, after that we packed up all of our tents, ate breakfast, and waited for the buses to come at noon. We were finished with our food around 9:30am, so we really had nothing to do until the buses came. I chatted with a few people from my ward, and eventually headed down to the small river to get cool. About five minutes after I had taken my shoes off and waded in, the buses arrived. :D just my luck.
A few of us had planned on switching buses to be with more people from our ward; we had heard it was alright if we did. I got the okay from my ma and pa and the bus driver, but when it came to actually getting on the other bus, they said no. I was sad as I waved to the other guys from my ward, and climbed back on #73. The first two hours were pretty boring, either sleeping or...well, sleeping.....or watching people sleep =) Then we got a lunch stop in a Wyoming park somewhere. A girls softball game was going on, and for all of us who had to use the bathroom there, it was pretty interesting. Well, actually they thought we were interesting. ;D
One girl came up to us and asked us, "So what are you all dressed up for?"
"A stake trek," one of us replied. "A track?" she asked.
"No, more like we re-inact what the pioneers did a long time ago,"
"Oh, so like a play?" (by this time we were all giggling behind our hands, some rolling their eyes) "Well, I guess you could call it that...." It was entertaining!
I ate lunch with the guys and girls from the ward I'd missed on that last bus. We played a Disney character guessing game, and had alot of fun. Then we were told that the buses couldn't leave for another hour. Most of the youth groaned, but I was happy I had a bit more time to play before I had to get back on that bus. I went to the artificially colored blue (almost like a Kool-aid) lake, and chatted with some more people about my first year at school, and met another guy named Ryan. He was going to be in choir as well, so I was pretty happy I had so many friends doing the same thing as I was. Now I won't be alone!
The bus ride the rest of the way was very fun. Leisle and I sat a few seats closer to Ryan, Tyler, and Trent (from my ward) and met another guy named Alex. We played 20 questions, guessing riddles, the Disney character game again, and Black Magic. I had such a great time! But when we finally got home, I was happy to be able to take a shower. Clean again!
(Okay now you can sigh with relief that this is over.)

1 comment:

  1. Well, that was quite a marathon. I had only read two, so now I just read the other four... Firstliest, I'd like to point out that it's Martin's, not Martian's Cove. =D But you know, they say Wyoming doesn't have a temple...they're wrong. Wyoming's temple is Martin's Cove, and the area round about there. So HA! We've got a bigger temple! *dances*

    ReplyDelete

Though I can't email you directly, just post your comment here and my mom can forward it to me.
Thanks for all you do! Way to support missionaries :)