South Korean Flag!

South Korean Flag!

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Little Things

Today I've was blessed to work both at Model A Cafe talking to people and Hogi Yogi chopping vegetables, and I'm excited to go home and be with my family. I pull up to see my little brother, Takoda, waving at me and grinning. I know he has something in mind, and in my heart I pray that it's nothing too permanent as I walk inside. Takoda obediently takes his plate into our home and puts it away just as he was told, and I praise him for his quick response, being rewarded with another grin.
I have to laugh-when he's in a certain mood, he loves to clean! He really is the most awesome 7-year-old I know...We call him Boda or Buddy. :)

So I get distracted from laundry in a game of "Tackle Haley!" This one was a bit more violent and involved than usual. Even little Denver joined in to save his trapped siblings, jumping with a growl and proceeding to bounce, laughing, on any part of me he can reach.
I noticed a few things about their different personalities and how they 'saved' each other from me.

Takoda is more passive when playing, and prefers to rescue the victim by dragging their limb than by attacking me directly.
Savannah is not nearly so tentative-She jumps, slams, kicks, and smacks to distract me so that the trapped one may escape. She's much more bold/brave.
Elias just really loves spanking people!

After we wore each other out with that game, we played hide and seek for a bit, until Takoda grabbed my hand. He told me excitedly that he had something to show me, pulling me toward the garage. To my surprise and happiness, I looked to see the hose had been in use, and the bottom half of the PT had been sprayed clean. Takoda looked up at me with pure joy in his eyes.
"Look, Haley!" he said, pointing. "I cleaned your car and tires for you! Look how they are clean!"
Stroking the tires, we admired his handiwork. I couldn't believe that cleaning my car had gone through his mind, with all of the other things a 7-year-old boy can be thinking about and adventuring doing. He amazed me with his pure selflessness and act of love through service.
That's why my siblings are my hero’s. Yes, they make messes, but we can laugh when we clean them up together later. Yes they can be very, very loud, but what's life without a little dynamics? And yes, they can leave me winded with how energetic they are (I can't keep up!) but I get more exercise that way, and I know that I'd be slow and fat without them!

Siblings are the best.

Little things really make life happy.

Rolly pollys (pill bugs) should watch out for little Denver-
He smashes them and then growls...

Poor things.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! :D

    I admit I smiled as I imagined Takoda, Savannah, Elias, and Denver tackling you. Doesn't sound like it was a fair fight.

    Siblings ARE the best! Yep, I'm pretty sure that they are the best fitness program there is. I mean, you have to be FAST at dinnertime if Dad yells "first come first served."

    I enjoyed reading about "little things." It made me think. It was fun to read, but I could also relate to it. I'm glad you shared it. :)

    Hmm...maybe I'll put my response to "little things" on my blog.

    Takoda made me smile.

    Mini-me, I'm speechless...

    Grrr.

    ReplyDelete

Though I can't email you directly, just post your comment here and my mom can forward it to me.
Thanks for all you do! Way to support missionaries :)