South Korean Flag!

South Korean Flag!

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Found the Lost Haley

 We had our yearly Sister
Conference yesterday, and because we traveled to Deajeon and back (2
1/2 hours one way), and were meeting with the other sisters all day,
we had no time to email.

It was really fun to see all of the other Sister Missionaries in our
mission yesterday. When Sister Rouche told me that the applicants have
gone from 10,000 to 50,000 a week (matching your figures too, Dad!) I
was blown away. I really couldn't believe that was happening. WHAT!
This is a huge HUGE thing for the church!!! This many more
missionaries will make such an incredible difference to each
mission....How are they going to fit them all in the MTC?? Build
another one?


I have this pass-off program here, where I need to memorize the
sentances of the lessons in Korean. (I don't have to use them, it's
just for grammer and vocab skills). At first, it was hard for me to
see the point of memorizing all of these sentances, pages and pages
and pages, that I would never use. But I found that when I started to
do it, I began to feel good to see my progress, especially when I met
the goals that I set for myself. It also helped to have a supportive
companion who gives me time to do pass of and my district leader,

About our work:

We're doing great and keeping it so fun here in Suncheon! We have an
awesome district, (Elder Rice left us for Jeonju, but now we have
Elder Esplin, from my older dongi and we're loving him!) and we just
had our final district meeting with our senior coupld. They are so
wise and kind and fun, I really don't know what we're going to do
without them. They were the true wisdom in our district. Brother Jo
and his wif Sister Lee will be our next senior couple, starting in
December. :) We're excited to have them too! I love their famlily.
They have a sweet little daughter, Min Ah, who's 28 and lives with
them because she has the mentality of a 4 year old. She radiates the
Light of Christ, and we just love her!

We've finished one transfer, and are moving on to the next. I found
out in our mission, you never have a companion longer than 2
transfers. Also, it's said that the Junior companion moves more often
than the Senior, but I really want to stay in Suncheon come end of
November. I'm praying He'll let me stay :)

Sister Won and I recieved a referral this past week from a member in
Daejeon. He had a less-active daughter who had just moved to Suncheon
to live on her own. She was 17 years old.

We met with her last last Friday and didn't teach much, just at
crackers and moon pies together at the church and visited. 

She remembers attending church. We're not sure how long it's been since
she last attended, but she laughed when she found out there is a
branch here in Suncheon. Then Sister Won asked her if she remembered
anything in particular about the Book of Mormon.

To my surprize, she said yes. There was a verse that she remebered.
Getting my scriptures out, again she surprized me by quoting the book,
chapter and verse clearly. Alma 37:37


 37 aCounsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for bgood; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the cmorning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.



What a prepared young woman. As we talked about the scripture she'd
remembered and what it meant to her, I couldn't help thinking and have
since, "When the Gospel is in your heart, no matter how long or how
far you go from it, it always stays there." XXXXX testimony was
still there, after all the years of not attending church. She still
gained inspiration from the one scripture she remembered. Her life
wasn't easy-she was seperated from her family in a different city and
lifestyle, her parents were divorced, and she must feel awfully
lonely. But she gained comfort knowing that her Heavenly Father knew,
and He wanted to hear from her, whatever she wanted to say and
whenever she wanted to say it.
She accepted our invitation to come back to church, and we planned to
meet at the bus stop by the church.

The next day, we had a family home evening with the XXX family (that
same man who invited us for Chu Seok and brought a branch to Suncheon
through his faith.)
We hadn't prepared a spiritual thought beforehand to share. Sister XXX
prayed as she thought about what to share with this family. I listened
as she shared with us Alma 37:37, that same scripture XXX had shared
the night before. As she opened to the verse, I felt we needed to tell
this famiy about XXX and her situation. Naturally as could be, that
same thought melded into Sister Won's message as she shared it. I
could feel the deep compassion and love this family had, and I knew
that Heavenly Father had prompted us and was directing them. There was
no better people we could share XXX's story with than that family
that night.

That Sunday we tried to contact her with no success, and she wasn't at
the bus stop as planned. I worried about her. Sister Won said we'd
done all we could do. Sadly, we continued on to the church.

Sacrament meeting was going over. We heard from our Senior couple as
it was their last Sunday. We could feel of their love, and the branch
member's love for them as they said good bye and we'll miss you.
Suddenly, Sister XX was motioning me to move over a chair. XXX had
come! Hair a little damp from the shower and walking delicately, she
came over to where we were and sat with us. I was so happy! I knew
that Sacrament meeting going over was a miracle :) Because our Senior
couple was leaving also, the ward sisters had prepared a huge meal for
the whole branch to eat together. XXX was well fellowshiped, and we
were both so grateful. We even got a branch picture!! (I'll send it
next week, I don't have the cords with me this time.)

I'm so thankful that Heavenly Father really cares about the "one", and
that we as His missionaries, get to be a part of each tiny step.

Another tiny step I wanted to share-We got to meet up with our two
male investigators, Brother xxx and xxx, last Friday. We'd already
sogaehed (referred) them once and dropped them once. Because they were
pretty inconsistent and sparradic, it was too hard to meet. But they
called us up and meet we did! And they really are sweethearts-They'd
bought us dinner! We were both really hungry, because our FHE
appointment didn't leave room for dinner. Miracle!!!! SO thankful :):)
There was a really good atmosphere that night. They were learning and
speaking a lot of English, and they had questions. So when we turned
to the Gospel part, they really listened closely. I had practiced
teaching the 2nd lesson all on my own early that week and day, and it
was the first time I'd taught it. We had a cute colored chart for them
to follow along with as I spoke each simple sentance (which simple was
good, as they had no Christian background). At the end of the lesson,
the said they'd like to go to church once they have a knowlege of what
we're teaching, and then, Sister Won taught the method of prayer and
invited one of them to pray. Brother xxx immediately motioned to his
friend. haha!

He didn't want to at first, but Sister xx just folded her arms and
bowed her head and waited, and I followed suit. Then Brother xxx
prayed. It was awesome, and simple, and perfect. It's the first prayer
I think he's ever offered in his life. And I can't help but be so
excited for him. How neat is it that we get to help Heavenly Father's
children take the tiniest steps to remembering Him, having faith in
Him and changing their lives for Him. It was a really simple
experience, but so important-
As Brother xxx and xxx open their hearts, they can realize that they
do have a Heavenly Father, and that He does care about them. Every
little detail of their lives-all of their strongest desires, and
deepest pains. And He will help them.

I think I've worn you out by now. It's a lot to read :)

Thanks for sharing with me our adventures and miracles here in Suncheon.
This Gospel is such a blessing, and an even greater one to share it.
Keep the Faith!
As Always,
Sister Brooksby

No comments:

Post a Comment

Though I can't email you directly, just post your comment here and my mom can forward it to me.
Thanks for all you do! Way to support missionaries :)